Role: Games Programmer
Start Date: Immediate.
Job Type: Full-time.
Holiday: 28 days increasing yearly to a maximum of 33 days.
Salary: £25,000 - £35,000 /year (depending on experience)
Benefits: Cycle to work scheme, wellbeing stipend, flexitime, no-crunch, monthly learning days
Required education: Relevant industry experience or Qualification in Game Programming (or similar)
Required experience: A portfolio of relevant work
Hello, we are Pocket Sized Hands and we’re expanding our wee talented team! We’re a small indie team who are passionate about working on amazing and exciting projects. Let’s make games together! We believe in a creative process of sharing new ideas, learning and developing new skills, and trying new things, all while working on some seriously exciting projects. We are committed to fostering an open, creative environment in which everyone in our team can bring their own unique thoughts, experiences and insights to the table, and we wholeheartedly welcome and celebrate people from all walks of life into our team to help collectively achieve our vision.
We’re currently working on some exciting projects that we can’t share too much about yet, but we work on a mix of client projects with some amazing people and we’ve started developing our very own original IP. Our website needs a little TLC but you can see some of the latest things we’ve been working on here! With some of our latest work including Pocket Mortys, Clive ‘n’ Wrench and OddWorld: Soul Storm
From day one, as a games programmer you will begin by getting holistic overview of a project, working and communicating with both technical and nontechnical teammates in the process of adding a new system or feature to a product and bringing new ideas to the table working within our Unreal team.
After 6 months you will be able to utilise your experience to lead the design, development and implementation of game systems working alongside the wider design, art and production team. Alongside this, you will provide guidance and constructive feedback on other’s work within the wider engineering team and mentor junior members of the team.
- A strong understanding of Unreal C++
- Experience of providing technical / team leadership and mentoring others
- Experience in using Jira or similar for managing work and time
- You can demonstrate previously completed work where you played a role in creating solid gameplay and have a polished user experience.
- Experience working within Unity C# or another game engine
- Experience with console development
- You have shipped a game before
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent C++ and Maths skills
- Strong understanding of top-down design, design patterns, game design principles, and object-oriented programming
- Experience of Git and associated clients
- Excellent organisational skills
- Great interpersonal skills, being able to listen to and understand problems as well as being able to give constructive support to the team
- Friendly and approachable with a calm demeanour that supports a relaxed work environment
- Beat Alan at Ticket To Ride
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the Job reference (PKT-JOB-040) in the subject and tell us why you would be great for the job along with your CV, cover letter and relevant works you have completed in the past.
We are Pocket Sized Hands, a team of brilliant, modest, boundary-pushing innovative individuals. We believe in a creative process of sharing new ideas, learning and developing new skills, and trying new things, all while working on some seriously exciting projects.
At Pocket Sized Hands, we make games together. We are committed to fostering an open, creative environment in which everyone in our team can bring their own unique thoughts, experiences and insights to the table, and we wholeheartedly welcome and celebrate people from all walks of life into our team to make our vision happen.
If you enjoy games and creating original content then we would love to hear from you.